[ntp:questions] Re: Using NTP with Trimble Acutime Synchronization Kit

John Kennedy john.kennedyjr1 at us.army.mil
Mon Dec 5 16:48:42 UTC 2005

After speaking with a Trimble Rep for quite some time, he assured me
that using the Trimble conversion box (has 2 outputs port A = Passive,
port B active) using Port A, we could essentially connect 3 PC's to it
using a special cable that is basically a Y-cable. The rep said that
Port A only sends a High/Low message out to the GPS antenna in order to
stimulate the antenna to send back an NTP type message. The port B of
the device is used for configuration and is meant to be truly
bi-directional in nature. With respect to the driver for NTP, according
to information on the NTP4.x for windows NT documentation from
www.eecis.udeledu/~mills/ntp/html/build/hints/winnt.html website, the
palisade gps driver is already built into the code. I have opened the
code and can see the files for this driver in it, but I cannot get it
to compile correctly. I am looking to some of the software engineers
here for some help on this, but it doesn't look like its coming any
time soon. Unfortunately the PC's are not connected to an Ethernet
network in a way that we can send data. They are connected to the
network, but do so over Vampire Ethernet Taps, which allow them to only
see the data on the wire, and not to transmit.

Thanks,