[ntp:questions] Re: sntp hangs if network not available

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.isc.org
Mon Dec 5 18:49:20 UTC 2005

If you do it this way and the NTP server is available the time will be set.

If the server is not available the time will not be set.

You can also fire off sntp in the background and then sleep for a second or
few to give it time to complete.

We're talking about the startup sequence; it may still make sense to fire
off sntp once an hour in the background (or just run ntpd in the background)
to keep things sane as time passes).

Harlan Stenn wrote:
> How about you fire up sntp in the background then?  In that case you don't
> really care how long it takes to finish.

I've thought about that but if the NTP server _is_ available, I'd
really like the time set before I do anything else so file timestamps
are right, processes don't see a jump in the system time, etc.