[ntp:questions] Re: Using NTP with Trimble Acutime Synchronization Kit

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Tue Dec 6 04:32:54 UTC 2005

Danny Mayer wrote:
> John Kennedy wrote:
>
>>After speaking with a Trimble Rep for quite some time, he assured me
>>that using the Trimble conversion box (has 2 outputs port A = Passive,
>>port B active) using Port A, we could essentially connect 3 PC's to it
>>using a special cable that is basically a Y-cable. The rep said that
>>Port A only sends a High/Low message out to the GPS antenna in order to
>>stimulate the antenna to send back an NTP type message. The port B of
>>the device is used for configuration and is meant to be truly
>>bi-directional in nature. With respect to the driver for NTP, according
>>to information on the NTP4.x for windows NT documentation from
>>www.eecis.udeledu/~mills/ntp/html/build/hints/winnt.html website, the
>>palisade gps driver is already built into the code. I have opened the
>>code and can see the files for this driver in it, but I cannot get it
>>to compile correctly. I am looking to some of the software engineers
>>here for some help on this, but it doesn't look like its coming any
>>time soon. Unfortunately the PC's are not connected to an Ethernet
>>network in a way that we can send data. They are connected to the
>>network, but do so over Vampire Ethernet Taps, which allow them to only
>>see the data on the wire, and not to transmit.
>>

> John,
>
> It turns out that although there is a specific refclock for the Trimble
> clock on Windows, and separate code for it, it wasn't being built. I can
> add it back in, but I can't tell you about how well it will work as I
> don't think it's been maintained.

I take that back. What you are talking about is the Trimble Palisade
clock, refclock 29. You should read the HTML pages on how to set it up.
The Palisade Refclock is already built on Windows by default, so all you
need to do is configure it.

The driver I was looking at is the Trimble DC refclock. I don't know
much about it. If it doesn't get used, it shoulfd be removed from the kit.

Danny