[ntp:questions] no key, why

vrkid0 at gmail.com vrkid0 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 20:20:52 UTC 2005

Hi

   About a month ago I setup a NTP subnet with 2 servers broadcasting
and the other acting as broadcast clients. At a certain point I the
clients stopped synchronizing for an uknown reason. The only suggestion
for help was: upgrade to the latest version (The version I was using
was 3.93e that comes with Solaris). I finally managed to convince my
client that the best way is to upgrade ntpd to the lates version. He
agreed and I upgraded both servers and clients using sunfreeware.com
ntpd package (version: ntpq 4.2.0 at 1.1161-r). Everything almost works.
For some ununderstood reason the servers don't send NTP packets to the
broadcast address. I didn't change anything in the configuration to
cause it to stop broadcasting NTP packets. When I run ntpq -p I get the
following line in the ouput:
172.16.1.255    .NKEY.          16 u    -   16    0    0.000    0.000
4000.00
even though the ntp.keys file does have the appropriate key defined.
Here are the relevant lines from ntp.conf:
broadcast 172.16.1.255 key 1
and ntp.keys
1 M SOMEtext

  Obviously I'm missing something, but what?

TIA
Paolo