[ntp:questions] Re: Windows timekeeping - sudden degradation - why?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid
Wed Dec 7 20:49:17 UTC 2005

Martin Burnicki wrote:
[]
> Maybe re-installing SP2 would fix the problem?
[]
> Maybe there's a program which is run in cyclic intervals to check if
> new updates are available?
>
> BTW, which version of ntpd have you been running before this happened?
>

> Martin

Yes, I had wondered about re-installing SP2 but (a) I've never done that
on XP (done it many times on NT4, though!), and (b) this is my prime
working system, so I really don't want to mess it up!

I don't think it's an update program causing the problems (the instability
is 24 hours a day), and any updates from Microsoft I run manually (after I
am informed they are available).  I /may/ have accepted an update from
QuickTime without thinking, or for some other application.

Prior to the problem I was running Terje's 2003 V4.2.0 (I think, this
level of detail is now lost).  It had been working perfectly for over two
years.

Cheers,
David