[ntp:questions] Re: Windows timekeeping - sudden degradation - why?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid
Thu Dec 8 20:59:40 UTC 2005

Martin Burnicki wrote:
[]
> I think the 10/15 ms switching is just used to maintain a kind of
> synchronization between the standard tick rate and the MM timer tick
> rate.
>
> Martin

Martin,

Thanks for that detailed explanation, which I've saved for future
reference.

What is still unexplained on this system, though, is why on Friday at
14:30 the system change from (I suspect) a single stable clock timing (one
unaffected by running MM applications) to a 10/15ms timing which affects
NTP like crazy?

Looking now, the system is as stable with the MM timer running at 1KHz as
it ever was before.  I'm going to see what your NTP Time Server Monitor
says, as I've got the statistics from before the problem.  (Thanks for the
excellent tool, by the way).

Pre-fault
Nov 29:  frequency -7.6 .. -7.5, offset -0.006 .. +0.006

During the fault:
Dec 04:  frequency -68..-63,  offset -0.6 .. +0.6

Today:
Dec 08: frequency -16.2 .. -7.56,  offset -0.06..+0.06 (but still
stabilising)

So I am coming back towards the drift value I had before the fault, and
the stability is similar (the 0.06 looks like a single transient when I
tried stopping and restarting QuickTime to check my own measurement
program).

OK, I'm now revising my view of what happened.  My best guess now is that
before the fault occurred, I was running with the MM timer permanently
enabled, and that's what made the system stable.  Something caused that to
stop.  What?  Does XP SP2 permanently run the MM timer at 1KHz?  News to
me if it does!

Too much thinking out loud!

Cheers,
David