[ntp:questions] Re: Windows timekeeping - sudden degradation- why?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid
Mon Dec 12 08:07:18 UTC 2005

Martin Burnicki wrote:
> David,
>
> I've just sent Danny a patch which lets ntpd set the MM timer to high
> resolution if a parameter -M is given on the command line.
>
> Additionally it contains code to slew the system clock quickly when a
> leap second is inserted.
>
> Hope we'll get this out soon.
>
> Martin

Many thanks for that, Martin.

IIRC, there was a problem with NTP reading parameters from the
command-line when running as a service, but perhaps that was a long time
ago.  I see that in the services control tool a parameter can be
specified.  I also hope you remembered to reset the time resolution when
NTP closes down (although I can't actually see it being a problem if a
program forgot to do this).

I will test this on my backup PC if you wish.

Great that leap-second code is there.  Only 19 days to go.....

Cheers,
David