[ntp:questions] Re: Windows timekeeping - sudden degradation- why?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid
Mon Dec 12 08:12:02 UTC 2005

Danny Mayer wrote:
[]
>> Aside:  I've been getting direct e-mails from you which I thought
>> should have appeared on the Usenet newsgroup.  Perhaps the list
>> reflector is not working 100%?
>>

> No, it's working as designed. I have to fix your address, delete it or
> get bounced mail.

But I was not seeing on the newsgroup messages which you e-mailed to me
and the ISC list.  In any case, I prefer to keep newsgroup messages on the
newsgroup, and not get copies direct by e-mail.

> If I understand this right the change in the timer is what causes the
> problem which means that the disciplining is suddenly way off. It is
> not good to have the frequency change when you are trying to keep
> accurate time. That would indicate that laptops which change speed
> when they are unplugged or plugged in.
>
> Danny

Yes, I think that laptops which change CPU speed will continue to be a
problem.  I'm not suggesting that running the MM timer permanently will
help them at all with changing CPU speed (although my guess is that it
/will/ help them when running at normal speed).

David