[ntp:questions] Re: Windows timekeeping - sudden degradation- why?

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Mon Dec 12 10:32:37 UTC 2005

David J Taylor wrote:
> IIRC, there was a problem with NTP reading parameters from the
> command-line when running as a service, but perhaps that was a long time
> ago.

Right. A few months ago I've sent a patch which fixed this.

> I see that in the services control tool a parameter can be
> specified.

Yes, the problem was that you could specify the parameters in the service
control manager, but you could not specify parameters which were evaluated
when the service was started automatically.

> I also hope you remembered to reset the time resolution when
> NTP closes down (although I can't actually see it being a problem if a
> program forgot to do this).

The latest patch I've sent also contains code which shuts down all threads
properly and writes a message to the event log when the service shuts down.
Without that patch the service could exit too early so that some tasks
(e.g. the log message, and the time reset) were unable to complete
properly.

> I will test this on my backup PC if you wish.

I'll send you a precompiled version of the patched ntpd per direct mail.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki

Meinberg Funkuhren