[ntp:questions] Re: Why so many dead NTP servers in pool.ntp.org?

Koos van den Hout koos at cs.uu.nl
Tue Dec 13 09:16:17 UTC 2005

Raphae <prosolutions at gmx.net> wrote:
> when running the command

> # ntptrace pool.ntp.org
> more than half of the servers in the pool seem to be dead.

(already answered in another followup)

>  Isn't
> ntp.org responsible for polling servers and pruning the pool of dead
> ones?

pool.ntp.org is a separate organisation. Read http://www.pool.ntp.org/

And pool is very strict on monitoring the quality (both in being able to
get the time from a server and in getting a correct time).

See for example for our entry into pool.ntp.org
http://www.pool.ntp.org/scores/131.211.80.155

                                                Koos van den Hout

--
Koos van den Hout          PGP keyid 0x27513781                  Camp Wireless
Mail  koos at cs.uu.nl        Use PGP when possible             Wireless Internet