[ntp:questions] Re: Why so many dead NTP servers in pool.ntp.org?

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.isc.org
Wed Dec 14 03:07:56 UTC 2005

On 2005-12-13, Raphae <prosolutions at gmx.net> wrote:

> I am setting up the NTP daemon from ntp.org and am a bit confused. In
> ntp.conf there is no mention of any modes.

Modes are not a user replaceable part.

> Currently I have been using rdate to set my system clock using
> tick.greyware.com.

rdate will set your system clock at a given instant but will not affect
your clock's long-term drift. ntpd, on the other hand, will reign in
your clock's long-term drift.

> Now that I have installed NTP things have become more complex.

Please take a look at http://ntp.isc.org/Support/GettingStarted where
you'll find a short guide to getting ntpd configured.

> It seems that to configure it to be a server one also has to configure
> it to be a client to some other NTP servers.

ntpd is intended to be synchronized to a source of time: either a local
ref-clock (not the hardware clock) or a remote time server.

An ntpd will not serve time to others until it is synced.

> I am not really sure what is the daemon and what is the client portion
> of this program.

ntpd is both a client and a server.

> The config file for the daemon has a server parameter which makes it
> seem as though it is a client.

The 'server ...' line is one of the ways that you specify the time
sources your ntpd will listen to.

> As far as configuring it as a server - if for example I want it to be
> accessible to clients running "rdate" (which is not mode 6?? not sure
> what "mode" it uses...) there don't seem to be options in ntp.conf for
> this.

By default, ntpd will serve time to others without any special
configuration.

> This is all so complex for a newbie. Unfortunately also the ntp
> package doesn't contain standard man pages

The Official documentation for the Reference Implementation of NTP
is currently distributed only as HTML. Manpages, or other forms of
documentation, are maintained by third parties.

Please take a look at the GettingStarted guide mentioned above.