[ntp:questions] Re: Why so many dead NTP servers in pool.ntp.org?

chris-usenet at roaima.co.uk chris-usenet at roaima.co.uk
Wed Dec 14 09:45:31 UTC 2005

Raphae <prosolutions at gmx.net> wrote:
> Thank you for your response.  I am setting up the NTP daemon from
> ntp.org and am a bit confused.  In ntp.conf there is no mention of any
> modes.

As a minimum, to use the pool, you pretty much need just these five
lines:

	server pool.ntp.org
	server pool.ntp.org
	server pool.ntp.org
	server pool.ntp.org
	server pool.ntp.org

As a side effect your server will start to offer ntp time service to
anything that can reach it. (Typically this is other boxes on your LAN.)

I'm a pool member and I know that my server's monitored pretty tightly.
If my server becomes "unreliable" (in terms of either connectivity
or accuracy) then it gets dropped from the pool until its quality has
improved.

I believe there are currently subdomains of pool.ntp.org, so you could
use us.pool.ntp.org (assuming you're in the US, of course)

Chris