[ntp:questions] Re: reasonable price for gps time source (Garmin GPS 17-HVS?)

Terje Mathisen terje.mathisen at hda.hydro.com
Thu Dec 15 07:58:52 UTC 2005

John Pettitt wrote:
> Chris Richmond - MD6-FDC ~ wrote:
>
>>Hi Folks,
>>
>>   Aside from this Garmin unit, are there cheaper alternatives?
>>This goes for about $180, has a 30' cable.  More questions:
>>Does the receiver need to be outside?  My attic has a clear view
>>of the sky (2 story house).  Roof is obviously better.  I don't like
>>heights.
>>
>>I'm also assuming this is supported by the standard NEMA driver.
>>
>>Comments?
>>
>>Thx, Chris
>>

> The GPS-18 LVC works well (about $80) - it works with the NMEA driver
> and has a PPS output- I have mind on about 50' of cable on my roof -
> it might work indoors if your roof does not have metallic foil in the
> insulation (mine does).

The -18 does indeed work well, I wrote a post about it a few weeks ago.

The serial/pps/power cable is really thin, so thin that it was very easy
to simply put the gps outside on the (metallic) window sill, then close
the window on top of the cable with no bad effects.

I.e. I have an outside antenna placement without having to drill any
holes in the wall. :-)

Terje

--
- <Terje.Mathisen at hda.hydro.com>