[ntp:questions] Re: obtaining multicast config from ntpdc

Ben Fitzgerald bmf1DELETE at ukonline.co.uk
Thu Dec 15 21:29:07 UTC 2005

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 21:06:43 +0000, Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.isc.org> wrote:
> Danny sez:
>
>> There is no way to find out whether it's been configured as a multicast
>> client unless it's actually receiving multicast packets for the given
>> multicast address. For that you need to go to the configuration file.
>
> And it's possible that somebody added the multicast client via ntpdc at
> runtime, right?

yes, this was my concern. I guess it cuts both ways. If you can only
derive it from ntp.conf the daemon could have been reconfigured
post-invocation and if you derive it from the runtime status it must
match ntp.conf or the behaviour will change after the next restart.

It's a pity you cannot get this information from the daemon but if
that's the way it is...

thanks,

ben.

--