[ntp:questions] Re: Windows timekeeping - sudden degradation - cured!

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid
Fri Dec 16 08:22:20 UTC 2005

Folks,

It seems that since on my PCs I have had the MM timer set to its fastest
1ms resolution, the poor timekeeping which I had recently seen on my
Windows XP Pro PC has stopped and, as additional benefit, the timekeeping
on my Windows 2000 PC has also dramatically improved.

Windows XP:
  http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/mrtg/odin_ntp.html

Windows 2000:
  http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/mrtg/stamsund_ntp.html

This change has been running for the last week or so, on the XP system via
a program I wrote which runs continuously, and on the Windows 2000 system
first by my own program, and secondly via a modified NTP.

I haven't made detailed measurements, but have been advised that the
jitter may not be as good in this mode, but the complete removal of the
timing transients previously seen more than makes up for this.

I do hope that the NTP with this capability soon becomes generally
available.

Many thanks to those who helped.

David