[ntp:questions] refid on client differs from refid on local server

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Fri Dec 16 15:26:28 UTC 2005

On Friday 16 December 2005 04:01, Danny Mayer wrote:
> Nigel Henry wrote:
> > With a bit of help from Danny in commenting out restrict lines, I now
> > have NTP working well with my 2 Linux servers and multiple Linux clients
> > on the other machine. One small query is. The refid's on the client
> > distro's, when running ntpq> pe show the original IP address, as on the
> > website for the stratum 2 servers, but the refid IP addresses on my
> > server ,are different. Why is this so? Also the other distro I use as a
> > server (FC1) just shows alternative hostnames under refid for the same
> > servers. Admittadly FC1 is using a slightly earlier version of NTP. A few
> > details below, and the relevant ntpq> pe outputs below that.
> >
> > FC2-server is using ntp-4.2.0-7
> > FC1-server is using ntp-4.1.2-5
> > FC2-client (as an example, as I have many clients) is using ntp-4.2.0-7
> >
> > This is the ntpq> pe for the FC2 server
> >
> > ntpq> pe
> >      remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset
> > jitter
> > =========================================================================
> >===== +lptfpc46.obspm. 195.220.94.163   2 u   89  128  377  136.809
> > 3.547 175.646 *ntp.kamino.fr   193.52.184.106   2 u  101  128  377
> > 287.905    1.165  59.055 +ntp2.belbone.be 195.13.23.250    2 u   99  128
> > 377  142.793  -62.327  53.907 ntpq>
> >
> > This is the ntpq> pe for the FC2 client. One of many clients on this
> > machine
> >
> > ntpq> pe
> >      remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset
> > jitter
> > =========================================================================
> >===== *192.168.0.230   216.32.94.18     3 u   79  128  377    0.422
> > 32.474   8.907 192.168.0.228   .INIT.          16 u    - 1024    0
> > 0.000    0.000 4000.00 ntpq>
> >
> > This is the ntpq> pe for the FC1 server, on the same machine as the FC2
> > server, but showing alternative hostnames, rather than IP addresses under
> > refid
> >
> > ntpq> pe
> >      remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset
> > jitter
> > =========================================================================
> >===== *lptfpc46.obspm. horlogegps.rese  2 u  106  128  377  128.493
> > -51.345   0.757 +ntp.kamino.fr   saturne.obs-bes  2 u  104  256  377
> > 279.962  -70.196   7.481 +ntp2.belbone.be ntp0.belbone.be  2 u   44  256
> > 377  135.129  -61.765   0.378 ntpq> pe
> >
> > None of this is any big deal as NTP appears to be working very well and
> > all my clocks are synched, but I would like to have an explanation to my
> > query. Nigel.
>
> Sigh. Please repeat after me: A refid is NOT an IP address, it's a
> 32-bit number that is used for loop prevention.
>
> It was a mistake to allow it to be translated into a host name or
> display it as anything but a hex number. Things get much worse with IPv6
> [...]

Hi Danny. Right, thats explained the refids on my servers, but the refid for
whichever client is booted up always shows a valid IP address, for whichever
stratum 2 server is acting as sys-peer on the machine thats acting as a
server. For example. ntp.kamino.fr  is IP 216.32.94.18 . I'm probably missing
something here as I'm quite new to NTP. Sorry if I'm wasting anyones time on
this subject. Nigel.