[ntp:questions] Re: Windows timekeeping - sudden degradation - why?

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.isc.org
Sun Dec 18 04:04:21 UTC 2005

On 2005-12-17, John Allen <allen{at}vo{dot}lu> wrote:

> David J Taylor wrote:
>
>> I tried to edit the information on operating systems to include the
>> discover about Windows and the MM timer, but I didn't see a simple
>> way to add an entry. It seemed that I had to edit the whole section.

You either add information to an existing topic (aka page) or you start
a new topic.

When you edit an existing topic you edit the whole thing, not just a
portion of it.

>> All I got was an Edit link, which produced a whole dialog box of
>> gobbledegook!

That's the Wiki mark-up (which is explained through various links at the
top of the LHS Memu on the edit page).

There are two ways to start a new topic:

1) Add the TitleOfTheNewTopic (as a WikiWord) to an existing topic. Then
click that link to start editing the new topic.

2) Enter the TitleOfTheNewTopic in the Search/Go box in the upper left
corner of any topic and hit [Enter] or click the GO button. Then click
the edit link on the next page.

>> Clicking on either the Cancel or Undo links produced a JavaScript
>> "Error on page" message, so adding that information will have to wait
>> until a Wiki expert is available. <G>
>
> Editing the Twiki is a bit strange the first time but I just
> inserted a new section by copying the heading from the previous
> sub-section and changing the name, then I pasted in the text from
> my emails and used a few basic formatting instructions from here
> https://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/TWiki/TWikiShorthand
>
> However, I was also blocked by the Javascript "Error on page" every
> time I tried to do work in Internet Explorer.

Please post the actual error (from your browser's Javascript console).

I don't use Microsoft Windows so I can't use MSIE to check this report
out.