[ntp:questions] Re: NTP Pool rules vs. four-server advice

Tim tim at mail.localhost.invalid
Tue Dec 20 12:05:08 UTC 2005

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 11:43:58 +0100, Adrian von Bidder sent:

> Btw, the [012].pool DNS names are far from useless, because if you add
> server pool.ntp.org
> server 0.pool.ntp.org
> server 1.pool.ntp.org
> server 2.pool.ntp.org
> you get four servers and you're guaranteed that they'll not overlap (if
> Bjorn still uses my script to generate the DNS zone, that is.)

I noticed that with at least some pool.ntp.org sub-domains, the
un-numbered sub-domain was the same as one of the number-prefixed
sub-domains.

In fact, just testing now, all of the au ones are the same
as each other.  So if I'd tried to get four servers using:

au.pool.ntp.org
0.au.pool.ntp.org
1.au.pool.ntp.org
2.au.pool.ntp.org

I'd have used 59.167.252.133 in all four cases (only getting one server).

--
If you insist on e-mailing me, use the reply-to address (it's real but
temporary).  But please reply to the group, like you're supposed to.

This message was sent without a virus, please destroy some files yourself.