[ntp:questions] Re: Question on abusive clients.

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid
Fri Dec 23 07:54:28 UTC 2005

David L. Mills wrote:
> David,
>
> There are copious examples of that happening right now on the NIST and
> USNO servers. What would you suggest we do to stop it? See the paper
>
> Mills, D.L., J. Levine, R. Schmidt and D. Plonka. Coping with overload
> on the Network Time Protocol public servers. Proc. Precision Time and
> Time Interval (PTTI) Applications and Planning Meeting (Washington DC,
> December 2004), 5-16.
>
> Full text is at www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/papers.html.
>
> Dave

Thanks for that pointer, Dave.  If I had to summarise: "NTP too successful
for its own good!"

It seems to me that you need something at the network level, rather than
the NTPD level, to turn off the path from the Elephants.  How you keep a
network-level block secure from hacking is not a trivial issue, though!

73,
David