[ntp:questions] Re: Question on abusive clients.

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Mon Dec 26 18:49:58 UTC 2005

David,

The poll intervals are not managed as you think. The basic consideration
is for the discipline loop time constant, which determines the optimum
poll interval. The design goal is to move it to the highest value
consistent with the anticipated clock frequency wander. A secondary
consideration is that the loop not be undersampled should the timing
source change. You have constrained the poll interval and time constant
when you specify a maxpoll for a source that happens to synchronize the
client and that forces all the others to the same value in case one of
them is selected.

There small gain in performance when forcing the poll interval to
smaller values as against letting the algorithms optimize for ambient
conditions. If you are trying to squeeze the optimum performance when
doing that, the cost is all the sources are constrained as well.

Dave