[ntp:questions] Re: First Galileo satellite launched

David Schwartz davids at webmaster.com
Wed Dec 28 23:15:49 UTC 2005

"David L. Mills" <mills at udel.edu> wrote in message
news:dov3qj$2a5$1 at dewey.udel.edu...

> GLONASS and P-code capabilities are available for some high-end geodetic
> receivers. Neither one of us can afford to buy them. By the way, GLONASS
> uses a different geodetic than GSS WG84. Their web site says a parameter
> conversion is not available. I assume Galileo will use WG84. I see GLONASS
> uses FDMA, while GPS and presumably Galileo uses CDMA. I assume that would
> make multichannel receivers for GLONASS hugely expensive.

    Last I heard, and maybe somone here has more current information or can
confirm this, Galileo and GPS transmission frequencies and technologies were
so similar that it is relatively simple to build receivers that can use both
systems. In fact, last I heard, the Galileo OS (open service) signal is at
the same frequency as the GPS L1 signal.

    DS