[ntp:questions] Re: synch two PCs

Eric ejensen at spamcop.net
Thu Dec 29 19:20:09 UTC 2005

On 29 Dec 2005 08:22:45 -0800, "jay" <jhlamb at hanmail.net> wrote for
the entire planet to see:

>Thank you, David.
>
>I don't have an internet connection so that I cannot have any other
>severs as a reference.
>Absolute, accurate time really does not matter but I need to have the
>SAME time between 2(or 3) PCs.
>
>To sum up, I'd like to have my own isolated network and want them
>synchronized..

Quite possible.  Install NTP on all computers.  Add the local clock as
the time source on the master PC.  Example (in ntp.conf):

server  127.127.1.0                <== local clock as reference
fudge   127.127.1.0  stratum 10    <== very important, time no good

Then add the master PC IP as the time source on all other PCs:

server  192.168.xxx.xxx      iburst   minpoll 4  maxpoll 7

Normal lan attachment and IP routing will suffice.  It won't be
"accurate" wrt UTC, but the PCs will be synchronized.

- Eric