[ntp:questions] Re: Question on abusive clients.

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Fri Dec 30 14:31:00 UTC 2005

Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
> <snip>
>
> I believe that once a server is configured, it is polled whether or not
> it's a false ticker.  Its time will be evaluated each time it is polled
> and the time will be discarded as long as the server remains a false
> ticker.  If a former false ticker corrects itself, its time will be
> considered and, if the NTP algorithms so decide, it will be used.
>
> Administrators who are paying attention will cease to use servers that
> offer poor quality time.

Richard, the real problem is that most of the problem clients are not
running software like the NTP reference implementation but clients
written by people who didn't understand the rules of proper NTP usage
and heavily abuse the servers. Many of these seem to be Windows clients
and if you think that anyone is looking at what it's doing, I do have
this bridge for sale...

Danny