[ntp:questions] Re: Linux 2.6 + PPS + ntpd?

Hal Murray hmurray at suespammers.org
Sat Dec 31 00:05:28 UTC 2005

>2.4 vanilla kernels plus Ulrich' PPSkit-patches are easy to get
>  going. Not tried 2.6 myself. But do you need the kernel PPSAPI? ntpd
>  can do that outside the kernel as well. Sorry my only pps
>  signal going to a Linux machine is using above 2.4-nano kernel.

There are two parts to the PPSAPI.  One is capturing the time
the PPS signal changes so user code (ntpd) can analyze it.
The other is including (one version of) that analysis in the
kenel to discipline the system clock.

I think the PPSKit for 2.4 included both parts and the 2.6 version
does not include the clock discipline code.