[ntp:questions] Re: First Galileo satellite launched

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang+gnus20051230T161102 at dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com
Sat Dec 31 00:35:21 UTC 2005

mayer at ntp.isc.org (Danny Mayer) writes:
> I'm not sure how many non-military applications really need 1-meter
> or better accuracy ...

Higher accuracy is never bad and once you give people good tools
you'll often find that they can now build things they couldn't before.

There are quite a few uses for 1-cm and under accuracies in the
road-building, track-laying industries.  I've seen ads for
differentially corrected sensors that are meant to be mounted on the
blades of giant road graters.  Want your road or tracks smooth with no
major undulations?  No problem.

If low-cost GPS's had similar accuracies I imagine we'd start seeing
self-steering cars where you'd drive a route once and the car along
with forward collision sensors could steer the same route for you from
then on.  (If not that, at least blare out a loud warning if you are
drifting out of the lane without blinking etc.)  I recall driving in
snow storms in white-out conditions in New England when such sensors
would have been quite handy.

Now as to ntp applications, I admit, I'm not sure what I would do with
even higher accuracies than the 1uS we now have.

-wolfgang
Direct SIP URL Dialing: http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/phonedirectory.html