[ntp:questions] Re: Mac OS X + ntpd?

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.isc.org
Thu Feb 3 03:31:16 UTC 2005

On 2005-02-03, Brad Knowles <brad at stop.mail-abuse.org> wrote:
> At 1:30 AM +0000 2005-02-03, Steve Kostecke wrote:
>
>>>  	The 48xx series has some serious problems being used as an NTP
>>>  server -- ask Steve.
>>
>>  Actually the NET4801 does work quite well with FreeBSD 5.3 Release as
>>  long you you compile the correct kernel. The problems I experienced in
>>  making it work were primarily in finding the necessary documentation.
>>
>>  The CPU in the NET4801 has an unreliable TSC and does not make a good
>>  clock in conjunction with a Linux kernel; I tried 2.4.x and 2.6.10
>>  kernels.
>
> 	Then there's the USB Audio issue, so that you can connect to a
> CHU receiver.

Or a WWV receiver.

> USB Audio apparently works reasonably well under Linux, but not under
> FreeBSD.

USB Audio worked for me on the NET4801 with Linux. Unfortunately the
FreeBSD USB Audio support is less than complete.

> You may be able to resolve this with a Mini-PCI card to handle the
>audio input, but I don't know whether or not this has been proven.

I have found one Mini-PCI audio card (the Cromwell MP-787S based on the
ALS4000 chipset which is supported by the sbc(4) driver) and have
ordered it. Once it arrives we'll find out if it works.

> Don't get me wrong, I love Soekris.  But I think that people
> should be informed of the issues, both pro and con.

Did I have problems installing FreeBSD on the Soekris? Yes. It was a
less than trivial installation of an OS with which I don't have much
installation experience.

Was I able to use a USB Audio adapter with FreeBSD? No. The FreeBSD USB
Audio driver does not support the input channel on the Griffin iMic.

Do I find the NET4801 to be unsuitable as an NTP server? No. It is
working quite well for me.