[ntp:questions] Re: problems with ntpdsim

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Thu Feb 3 20:28:24 UTC 2005

mauro,

The simulator can handle only one server at a time. It produces the
filegen statistics just as in real life; in fact, it is the same code
surrounded by drivers that simulate network time jitter and oscillator
frequency wander. You can use the options to generate simulated time and
frequency noise and to simulate initial time and/or frequency offsets.
Use the -d options and pipe the output to a file to see the trace. Just
like the real life daemon it will create statistics files according to
the filegen options. It would be interesting to try it with a real
reference clock.

Someone could create a great computer science project by modifying the
simulator drivers to support multiple associations. The options
specification is rather ubly and should be replaced by configuration
file commands.

Dave