Alain alainm at pobox.com
Sat Feb 5 00:52:37 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I made some tests with extreme bad initial clocks:

# date --set "01/01/00 00:00"
Sáb Jan  1 00:00:00 BRDT 2000
# ntpd -gq
ntpd: time reset 160871283.056670s

This does works great, but takes 45 seconds (8 servers with iburst).
This -gq combination was not clear in the docs, now that I know about it
I read it again and in fact it is there, but I did read it many times
and missed just something.

ntpdate with 5 servers 3 seconds
ntpdate with 8 servers 4 seconds

It looks like ntpdate does most things in parelel.

Per Hedeland escreveu:
> If your latest ntpd tweak knobs can really achieve the low-quality-but-
> really-quick time setting that ntpdate provides, *and* the combination
> of knob settings needed for that is codified into another ntpd option
> (--impatient maybe?:-), I think ntpdate can finally be laid to rest.
> Requiring a separate config file just for this boot-time setting, with
> parameters and values that are even more esoteric to the average user,
> is really a show stopper IMHO.

Agreed. Maybe the "twek knobs" + "minpoll=1" (this look similar to what
ntpdate uses) could be command line or just temporary and disabled after
the initial time set. I hope that whatever replaces ntpdate is
aproximately as fast (say like <5s)

Thanks for your patience again,
Alain