[ntp:questions] ntpd, boot time, and hot plugging

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Sun Feb 6 19:01:16 UTC 2005

At 12:01 PM +0000 2005-02-06, Per Hedeland wrote:

>  Sorry, even though I could, I don't see why I should spend time and
>  effort debugging the software that you are using to inject malformed
>  articles into the group.

	If you're going to make claims of broken threading, then you need
to provide evidence of that -- in your case you need to do a better
job of providing that evidence than an AOL newbie would do.

	Kenneth Porter did a much better job, and little time doing some
research on Google shows that he is correct -- the one real "thread
break" is a result of what was a private message being forwarded back
to the group.

	There's no software on Earth, that I know of, that could
compensate for that kind of a break.

>                        I can send you a tarball of the articles if you
>  want, and you can try to match up the References: etc - but those
>  headers will be the same if you download them from any news server.

	I have access to several news servers, plus the original raw
messages (with all headers intact) from the archives.  I see no such
thread breakage of the sort you are claiming.

	Perhaps it is trn that is broken in this case?  After all, it is
pretty ancient software, and the algorithm for detecting threads has
most likely been updated a few times since the last time it was
touched.  Maybe you should try a different newsreader.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755