[ntp:questions] Re: Server returns 0 as originate timestamp

Per Hedeland per at hedeland.org
Sun Feb 6 22:05:41 UTC 2005

In article <Xns95F5D002B169EFlyingCircus at 195.130.132.70> Dirk Claessens
<will.bounce at invalid> writes:

>I'm currently writing a simple Windows SNTP-client.
>It works nicely, except for one thing: although I fill in the originate
>timestamp field ( T1) , the server always returns all zeroes in this
>field in the reply message.

You should not fill in the originate timestamp but the transmit
timestamp - from RFC 2030:

   To calculate the roundtrip delay d and local clock offset t relative
   to the server, the client sets the transmit timestamp in the request
   to the time of day according to the client clock in NTP timestamp
   format. The server copies this field to the originate timestamp in
   the reply and sets the receive timestamp and transmit timestamp to
   the time of day according to the server clock in NTP timestamp
   format.

--Per Hedeland
per at hedeland.org