[ntp:questions] Re: Is ntp really what I need?

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Mon Feb 14 20:15:02 UTC 2005

At 7:43 PM +0000 2005-02-14, Paul Hilton wrote:

>  I understand that kernel 2.6.x may be better in this respect, and at some
>  point I may change my desktop system, and it MAY get better.

	I am not at all convinced that this is true.  Please see
<https://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Support/KnownOsIssues#Section_8.2.3.>.

>                                                                For the
>  moment I think I'll just do an hourly ntpd -q, and stop running the
>  daemon.

	If you are unable or unwilling to make modifications to your
kernel so as to allow it to keep better time (and lose fewer timer
interrupts), there may not be any good options.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755