[ntp:questions] Re: Good GPS for attic?

John Pettitt jpp at cloudview.com
Wed Feb 16 17:19:41 UTC 2005

David Schwartz wrote:

>"John Pettitt" <jpp at cloudview.com> wrote in message
>news:8F6Pd.6422$m31.77104 at typhoon.sonic.net...
>

>>On my home net I set up GPS time because I wanted to see how cheaply I
>>could do it ($350 emachines computer, $85 GPS18 LV, freebsd and about $5
>>of connectors).   I could have done it for under $120 with a used 486 box.
>>

>    You need at least a Pentium because the '486 does not have a TSC
>(instruction cycle counter). The TSC is absolutely essential to keeping
>accurate time.

Good point - I now have the GPS hooked to a stray Pentium 200 that was
doing nothing and still probably would fit under my $120 budget
(Actually it's hooked to two machines and seems to be quite happy in
that configuration - they stay withing about 40us of each other despite
the huge difference in CPU power)