[ntp:questions] Synchronisation problems updating to version 4.2.0a on multiple platforms.

Jacobo.Matute at esa.int Jacobo.Matute at esa.int
Thu Feb 24 17:27:49 UTC 2005

Brad,

Many thanks for your answer. We are currently looking at the NTP servers to
try to identify the problem.

However, do you know why the version 4.1.1 does not have any problem with the
servers with such an offset between them?
Have the algorithm change on the 4.2 version?

Many thanks in advance,

Jacobo

|---------+----------------------------------->
|         |           Brad Knowles            |
|         |           <brad at stop.mail-abuse.or|
|         |           g>                      |
|         |           Sent by:                |
|         |           questions-bounces at lists.|
|         |           ntp.isc.org             |
|         |                                   |
|         |                                   |
|         |           13/02/2005 19:01        |
|         |                                   |
|---------+----------------------------------->
  >---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                               |
  |        To:      Jacobo.Matute at esa.int                                                                         |
  |        cc:      questions at lists.ntp.isc.org                                                                   |
  |        Subject: Re: [ntp:questions] Synchronisation problems updating to    version 4.2.0a    on multiple     |
  |        platforms.                                                                                             |

At 2:11 PM +0100 2005-02-11, Jacobo.Matute at esa.int wrote:

>  We have been using without any problem the ntp 4.1.1 in most of our linux
>  systems (and in some of our solaris and windows systems) to synchronize
with
>  two ACOLA NTP servers, that are fed by two GPS Clocks.

             Two upstream time servers is the worst possible configuration
for
NTP.  See section 4.3.3. at
<https://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Support/SelectingOffsiteNTPServers>.

>  Has somebody experience this problem with the new version? Which would be
the
>  best way to trace the problem?

             Configure more upstream time servers, at least four, preferably
six or more, and possibly as many as nine.  See all of section 4
(above) and <https://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Support/StartingNTP4>.

             Once you correct those problems, it will be easier to determine
if there's something else going wrong.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755