[ntp:questions] Re: Upgrading from NTPv3 to NTPv4? Any problems foreseen?

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Sat Jan 1 01:35:17 UTC 2005

Pete Stephenson wrote:

>In article <M4GdnardZ952OkjcRVn-2w at comcast.com>,
> "Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>Welcome to the club Pete!
>>

>Thanks. I figured after a few years of reading, learning, and using NTP,
>I have enough courage to actually configure and make public a clock of
>my own.

 <big snip>

>I was hoping things would work precisely as you described, but I seem to
>have trouble installing NTP just "out of box" with configure/make/make
>install, which seems rather odd. Specifically, it appears to be having
>trouble with crypto-related stuff. The output from the make command is
>located at http://hydrogen.heypete.com/ntp-oddities.txt for brevity.

I had a look at your make output.  It doesn't look too serious  but I
think you need to file a bug report at http://bugzilla.ntp.org/

My guess would be that there's something a little odd about your
environment that the developers did not anticipate.   In spite of years
and years of standardization efforts, it's damned near impossible to
write anything more complex than "hello world" and have it build on any
random hardware, O/S, compiler, and libraries.

>I'm not terribly familiar with crypto, especially when it involves NTP.
>Is there any way of simply installing NTP without crypto, if it'd make
>the installation easier?

Don't know of any.  You might want to look at the configure script and
its options; that's the most logical place to look for a means of
excluding the crypto stuff.

 <big snip>