[ntp:questions] Re: Upgrading from NTPv3 to NTPv4? Any problems foreseen?

Per Hedeland per at hedeland.org
Sat Jan 1 20:27:05 UTC 2005

In article <XI-dnVBxObgb50jcRVn-iw at giganews.com> fredb at immanent.net
(Frederick Bruckman) writes:

[snip]

>That's a lot of assuming.  While it's true that ntpd 3 (which was,
>for reasons unknown, shipped with BSD 4.2 and therefore derivatives,
>as "xntpd") [snip]

I think you need to read up on NTP history... The 'x' in xntp* was added
by Dennis Ferguson at UofT when he implemented version 2, apparently to
differentiate against the x-less version 1 implementation.  It was
retained in version 3, but dropped in version 4 (and good riddance...).

I.e. the the "standard" reference implementation of v2 and v3 included
the 'x' - source tarballs for both are still available in the
"depredated" archives at udel.edu. And version 3 was certainly not
shipped with 4.2 BSD, which predates the *v2* RFC by some 6 years. It
*may* have had a v1 implementation, but IIRC it didn't include any NTP
implementation at all.

--Per Hedeland
per at hedeland.org