[ntp:questions] Re: xntpd (NTPv3) "restrict" questions.

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.isc.org
Mon Jan 3 00:24:02 UTC 2005

On 2005-01-02, Pete Stephenson <pete+usenet at heypete.com> wrote:

> I've been perusing the man pages and Google regarding the "restrict"
> command for ntp.conf for xntpd (ntpq -c version reports ntpq 3-5.93e
> Mon Apr 16 13:25:35 PDT 2001 (1)).

Information about setting your ntpd restrictions is available on the NTP
Public Services Project web-site at:

http://ntp.isc.org/Support/ConfRestrict

Although this topic was written form ntpd 4.x.x it is also generally
applicable to ntpd 3.x.x

> Specifically, I'd like my server to do the following things:
>
> 1) Synchronize with NTP servers specified in the "server [host.name]"
> lines of my ntp.conf files and adjust time accordingly.

<snip>

> 3) Disallow all connections (excepting those to/from the systems
> mentioned in the "server [host.name]" lines) that attempt to modify my
> local time.

ntpd will only "listen for the time" from servers/peers/refclocks that
you specifically configure in your ntp.conf

> restrict time.sonic.net mask 255.255.255.0 nopeer nomodify

You must use IP addresses on your restrict lines.