[ntp:questions] Re: Undisciplined Local Clocks

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Mon Jan 10 22:56:38 UTC 2005

Allen C wrote:

>I notice that most ntp.conf examples that I have seen contain the lines:-
>
>"server 127.127.1.0	# local clock",   and
>"fudge  127.127.1.0 stratum 10"
>
>Questions -
>
>Are there any consequences in leaving these lines out?

If you leave them out you can't serve time to clients if you become
unsynchronized.  If you include them you should probably include comment
explaining them:  mine look like this.
#
# Declare the local clock to be the clock of last resort.
# It will be used to serve time in the absence of any other.
#
server 127.127.1.0              # Local clock, unit 0
fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10

>In the extreme case of an isolated group of peers, is there any advantage
>in ALL the peers including them?

In that extreme case, it probably doesn't matter what you do or don't
do; accuracy and stability can only be somewhere between bad and worse
than that!!   If you must run an isolated net, I'd suggest trying to
determine which system has the most stable clock and letting that system
serve its local clock to the rest.