[ntp:questions] Re: Modifying the XP Registry for Authoritative Time Service--Doesn't Look Right

W. Watson wolf_tracks at invalid.inv
Tue Jan 11 02:08:47 UTC 2005

m.marien wrote:
> "Wayne Watson" <sierra_mtnview at earthlink.net> wrote in message
> news:a6FEd.3720$Ii4.2443 at newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>
>>Win XP Pro.
>>This <http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314054>
>>shows steps to
>>modify the registry to use NTP as an external source. Step 3 asks that
>>SpecialPolInterval be changed to TimeInSeconds. The current value is
>>binary. I have a
>>limited knowledge of the use of regedit, but this looks wrong.
>>
>>BTW, before attempting to modify the registry I exported it. I made a
>>mistake early,
>>and decided to import the file. It looks like it did this successfully,
>>but gave me a
>>message at the end that said something like it could not restore all
>>values because
>>they were in use. Close to that wording. What's that about. I had no
>>windows open.
>>--
>

> Geez Wayne, you're all over the place in your quest for knowledge. You
> actually don't have to modify the registry. Just issue the command:
>
> C:>\net time /setsntp:fqdm
>
> where fqdn is the fully qualified domain name of the ntp time server. I
> think you can use any name, as long as your system can resolve it and it
> points to a ntp server. This will set all the parameters for you. You don't
> have to change it on XP unless you want to change it from the default
> time.windows.com. All XP systems default to this time server unless they are
> members of a domain. In that case they get the time from a domain
> controller.

Hi, M. Likewise! I've posted to two different MS groups without any response, so
thought I'd try a group that has something to do with NTP. I've also posted to my
favorite linux network group without any response. Got my knuckles gently rapped by
Brad for the post here. :-) People in Linux have been pointing me to the registry
change, since I've been unable to go through Linux on my local network to XP to NTP
with any luck.

That's very interesting. So as long as I'm connected to the internet on XP, my time
synch will come from a NTP server designated in the net time command? That means, I
hope, that if I attempt to time synch with redhat-config-date across my local network
to XP it will use that NTP server too? Note that the RH command allows me specify
192.168.0.3, which is XP.

                         Web Page: <home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews>