[ntp:questions] drifting on crystal

Pete Stephenson pete+usenet at heypete.com
Thu Jan 13 08:44:27 UTC 2005

In article <Gqadnc9AwfPTfHjcRVn-jA at comcast.com>,
 "Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote:

> If you are limited to PC hardware, Solaris X86 and Free BSD come to
> mind.  Either one will run ntpd and do a reasonable job of timekeeping.
> I've had excellent results running Solaris 8 and Solaris 9 Intel
> Platform Edition on Compaq hardware with CPU speeds in the 1.5 to 2.5
> GHz range.

Hmm. Excellent.

I've just successfully managed to get Debian linux to install[1] on one
PC, and now have to worry about getting it to install on a Cobalt RaQ3
that I have here[2].

I know very little about FreeBSD, except that it's used as the base of
Mac OS X and that it's another system I managed to successfully install,
but Debian just came across as more...er...me-friendly right off the
bat. That, and the apt package manager is a Most Wonderful Thing(tm).

I will keep these recommendations in mind the next time I'm building a
dedicated timeserver with uber-accuracy needs. Right now, I'm looking
for a general-service timeserver for public use, and given that Debian
seems to perform quite reasonably given synchronization sources from
only the internet (no local time source, unfortunately), it should more
than suffice for the purpose that I'm looking for.

Once I get the Cobalt up to speed and serving time, then I'll work on
getting it more accurate -- GPS or WWVB input, etc. Maybe some new
hardware and FreeBSD for a new, dedicated timeserver...we'll see.

Thanks for the advice!

[1] Murphy's Law struck often and hard during the several week ordeal.
[2] time.heypete.com, both a public Stratum 2 on the lists as well as
being part of pool.ntp.org.

--
Pete Stephenson
HeyPete.com