[ntp:questions] drifting on crystal

Pete Stephenson pete+usenet at heypete.com
Thu Jan 13 10:33:07 UTC 2005

In article <mailman.13.1105609907.588.questions at lists.ntp.isc.org>,
 Brad Knowles <brad at stop.mail-abuse.org> wrote:

> At 8:44 AM +0000 2005-01-13, Pete Stephenson wrote:
>
> >  I know very little about FreeBSD, except that it's used as the base of
> >  Mac OS X and that it's another system I managed to successfully install,
> >  but Debian just came across as more...er...me-friendly right off the
> >  bat. That, and the apt package manager is a Most Wonderful Thing(tm).
>
> 	MacOS X uses a Mach micro-kernel, with a userland that is
> primarily derived from FreeBSD, but also includes components from
> other *BSD versions.  That's not the same thing as saying that
> FreeBSD is used as the base of MacOS X.

My apologies; I over-generalized. Probably not a good thing to do in a
newsgroup dedicated to precision. :)

> 	That said, FreeBSD has over thirteen thousand ports defined, and
> no other OS on the planet has anything that compares to:

[snip]

> category.  I challenge any OS on the planet to be able to combine
> that many port/package definitions with the trivial ease of
> installation provided by the FreeBSD ports system.

Indeed. I must experiment more with it. Perhaps altering the partition
map of my HD would be useful -- subdividing a 250Gb HD into several 24Gb
partitions with 1Gb swap each for a total of ten different distributions
(unless several distributions can share a single swap file, even though
they obviously wouldn't all be using it at the same time) would be quite
handy. Perhaps when I have a bit more time.

I have no idea how many packages are available via apt with Debian, but
the ease of installation is substantially easier than "trivial". I
suspect that FreeBSD's port system is very similar. I'll definitely
experiment with it.

> 	This is the standard by which all other OSes are measured, at
> least in this particular area.

I'll take your word on it. :)

> >  Once I get the Cobalt up to speed and serving time, then I'll work on
> >  getting it more accurate -- GPS or WWVB input, etc. Maybe some new
> >  hardware and FreeBSD for a new, dedicated timeserver...we'll see.
>
> 	One of the best time servers you can build today is running
> FreeBSD on a Soekris SBC no bigger than a thin paperback.
> Poul-Henning Kamp has a lot of experience in this area, and has
> written a lot of good material describing how he's done it.

I will definitely look into that. Such a configuration would be optimal.
Thanks. :)

--
Pete Stephenson
HeyPete.com