[ntp:questions] Specifying command line parameters for ntpd running as a w2k service?

Tapio Sokura oh2kku at iki.fi
Fri Jan 14 04:19:42 UTC 2005

I'd like to add -g command line parameter to ntpd so that the clock is
adjusted even when it is more than 1000 secods off. The problem is that
the machine is running Windows 2000 and ntpd is run as a service.

I couldn't find a place to change the command line options permanently
in the services list (control panel -> administrative tools ->
services). So then I opened regedit and changed key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NTP\ImagePath to
include -g parameter. Now when I look the NTP service on the services
list, I see the -g added to "Path to executable", it reads
"c:\path\ntpd.exe -g". But it doesn't seem to work. I set the time a few
hours off and rebooted. After a few minuts I looked at the event log and
the usual entry about clock difference exceeding sanity checks was there.

To make a long story short: how do I define command line parameters to
ntpd running as a Windows service?

   Tapio