[ntp:questions] Re: Trapping Linux clock reset event

Fri Jan 14 10:06:44 UTC 2005

"James Kimble" <jkimble at one.net> writes:

> I know this may not be the right group for this. Please ignore
> me if I'm posting in the wrong place.
>
> Is there any way to have syslog trap calls to reset the system
> clock on Linux? I have a problem with a GPS time server that is
> causing problems, one of which is the system clock gets set to a
> very early date (1980). I want to be able to detect this change
> to confirm it's impact on some other systems.

In xntp there was a Perl script to set up some SNMP traps with xntpd (AFAIR).
Otherwise define "reset the system clock"; then you could modify the kernel to
create syslog messages.

> If not via syslog does anyone know of ANY way to trap a system
> time reset event and log it?

Doesn't ntpd create a corresponding syslog entry any more?

> Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> James Kimble

Regards,
Ulrich Windl