[ntp:questions] Re: Questions and ruminations regarding NTPD 4 config and XP's bad behavior.

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Sat Jan 15 01:51:24 UTC 2005

elickd at one.net wrote:

>I don't want them to serve time at all.  They're workstations that are
>set to query time once a week, but are answering because Microsoft
>apparently can't be bothered to read RFCs.
>
>I want the NTP servers I spoke of to ignore these machines so in the
>off chance of NTP instability in our stratum hierarchy, there's no way
>they can provide bogus time.
>
>Something in our timeserver network is glitchy enough to cause my SCO
>boxes (and there are thousands of them) to pick up bogus time at random
>intervals.
>

>Doug

If you have thousands of SCO machines as NTP clients, I'd suggest, in
the strongest terms, that you purchase a hardware reference clock and
configure and operate your own stratum one server!  If the other members
of your organization are properly deferential you might, grudgingly,
permit them to use it also!! :-)