[ntp:questions] Re: Questions and ruminations regarding NTPD 4 config and XP's bad behavior.

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Sat Jan 15 02:46:34 UTC 2005

Doug,

XP is normally configured not to operate as a server, as I just now mave
confirmed. If so, they violate not only the NTP protocol (using
symmetric rather than client mode) but violate the SNTP prohibition not
to opeate as a server unless directly synchronized to a broadcast or
modem source.

A server with nominal frequency error of 100 PPM will be in error 8.64
seconds after one day and one minute after one week. The same thing
holds for ntpdate. If the error expectations are less than a minute or
so, not to worry. However, clock errors over such periods are dominated
by random-walk phenomena, so there is a chance, althoug a small one,
that a chain of servers like that can accumulate errors of many minutes
at the end of the chains.

Dave