[ntp:questions] Re: Questions and ruminations regarding NTPD 4 config and XP's bad behavior.

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Tue Jan 18 01:00:01 UTC 2005

elickd at one.net wrote:

>Of all the questions facing me, the most vexing is how 170 odd XP boxes
>are showing up in the "ntpq -p" output of our stratum 3 servers (Linux,
>NTPv4); said boxes certainly are not enumerated in their "ntp.conf".
>The only difference between these XP machines and the hundreds of
>identical units that do not show up is that they're set to auto-sync.
>their time once a week.
>
>I can't think of any other mechanism for their associations other than
>there is some wierd interaction between them and the strat. 3 servers
>when they poll. Perhaps that multicast is turned on (on the servers) is
>a factor?
>All our stratum 3 NTP4 servers have the following stanzas in their
>config.:
>
>multicastclient
>broadcastdelay	0.008

I missed this the first time around!   Why are servers configured as
multicast clients?!?!?   That means that they will listen to the lowest
available stratum that's multicasting!   If the XP boxes are
multicasting, that means you could be getting time from them instead of
your stratum two servers, especially if the stratum two servers are
unavailable for some reason.

Rather than take time from random strangers it's better to configure
your servers to get their time from specific lower stratum servers!

Try:

server server-a.mydomain.com  iburst
server server-b.mydomain.com  iburst
server server-c.mydomain.com  iburst
server server-d.mydomain.com iburst
#
# Declare the local clock to be the clock of last resort.
# It will be used to serve time in the absence of any other.
#
server 127.127.1.0              # Local clock, unit 0
fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10

This way, you get time only from the designated servers and, if they are
unavailable, you serve your local clock to your clients.  Assuming
(dangerous) that the servers in question more or less agree as to what
time it is and are synchronized and stable, your servers should
initialize with eight queries at two second intervals (that's the iburst
part) and then continue at one query every 64 seconds.  As the
synchronization gets tighter the poll interval will stretch to 128
seconds, 256, 512 and, ultimately 1024 seconds.  You then live happily,
not forever after, but until something happens to disrupt the stratum
two servers or your network connection.

In reality, the two servers will probably disagree as to what time it is
and, since there are only two, your stratum three servers will "clock
hop" between them and you'll never get tight synch.  At least the mob
will be headed in the same general direction at more or less the same speed.

If you have legal constraints for timestamping transactions, your setup
is just asking for trouble.  I don't think that anybody has more than a
slight clue as to what time it is and if you need to be able to say that
something happened at January 7, 2004 19:16:10.37 plus or minus ten
milliseconds, you probably can't swear that the timestamp is correct.

If you just need to figure out a sequence of closely timed events at
different locations, you probably can't do it with any certainty because
the various clocks are almost certainly not closely synchronized.  With
low network latency and a stable time source, it's possible to keep a
large number of machines synchronized within, say, five or ten
milliseconds.  With your setup, it wouldn't surprise me to find two
different machines on your network whose clocks differed by at least
several seconds or even minutes!

The first thing to do is to define your requirements for both accuracy
and tightness of synchronization  If you can't satisfy your requirements
with your existing setup and you have a business justification for your
requirements, you just need to decide what resources are necessary to
meet current and anticipated future requirements and then request those
resources.  If you need to meet these requirements even if headquarters
is down or your network connection is down, you need to consider
designing some redundancy into the system.