[ntp:questions] Influence or reset client's poll intervall?

Daniel Kabs daniel.kabs at gmx.de
Wed Jan 19 10:18:18 UTC 2005

Hello!

I run ntpd 4.0.99g on an embedded system as client to ntp servers
(client/server mode).

"ntpq -p" outputs a billboard of information for each of these servers. The
table contains the column "poll", the interval at which the servers are
queried. After some time the interval has increased to 10 / 1024s.

Can I modify the poll interval using "ntpq" oder "ntpdc" and how do I do
this? Has this poll interval anything to to with the "hpoll" and "ppoll"
values of the ntp servers as displayed with "readvar assocID")? The RFC1305
is very terse about these two values and I found another document saying,
these values are only relevant in "symmetric" mode, which I am not running.

Thanks for any help!

Cheers,
Daniel Kabs
Germany
--
C++ FAQ Lite, section 23.6:
Q: What's the meaning of, Warning: Derived::f(float) hides Base::f(int)?