[ntp:questions] Re: Influence or reset client's poll intervall?

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Wed Jan 19 13:01:45 UTC 2005

Daniel Kabs wrote:

>Hello!
>
>I run ntpd 4.0.99g on an embedded system as client to ntp servers
>(client/server mode).
>
>"ntpq -p" outputs a billboard of information for each of these servers. The
>table contains the column "poll", the interval at which the servers are
>queried. After some time the interval has increased to 10 / 1024s.
>
>Can I modify the poll interval using "ntpq" oder "ntpdc" and how do I do
>this? Has this poll interval anything to to with the "hpoll" and "ppoll"
>values of the ntp servers as displayed with "readvar assocID")? The RFC1305
>is very terse about these two values and I found another document saying,
>these values are only relevant in "symmetric" mode, which I am not running.
>
>Thanks for any help!
>
>Cheers,
>Daniel Kabs
>Germany

You can set either MINPOLL or MAXPOLL or both but doing so is not
recommended.  MINPOLL defaults to 6 (2^6=64 seconds) and MAXPOLL to 10
(2^10=1024 seconds).   A brief, and perhaps over simplified, explanation
is that NTP uses the shorter intervals to obtain synchronization quickly
and the longer intervals to measure small errors accurately.   NTP
adjusts the current poll interval to fit the current situation.

What problem are you trying to solve?