[ntp:questions] Re: Specifying command line parameters for ntpd running as a w2k service?

mayer at gis.net mayer at gis.net
Thu Jan 20 17:52:32 UTC 2005

You have no need to know wrote:
> Abandoning the right to remain silent, mayer at Wed, 19 Jan 2005
10:34:55
> -0800 said:
>

> > You have no need to know wrote:
> >> Abandoning the right to remain silent, mayer at Fri, 14 Jan 2005
> > 15:05:05
> >> -0800 said:
> >>

> >> This sounds like a good time to suggest a config file directive to
> >> specify what would otherwise be command line options. I know it
> > wouldn't
> >> let you specify the config file name (-c option) but I can't see
any
> >> reason why any other field could not be supplied.
> >>
> > You don't need to get the config file. That will be a separate key
> > in the registry. BIND already does it this way. So far the location
> > has been hard-coded and that needs to change.
>
> You are thinking in the windows-centric world. The config file
directive
> is equally applicable to other platforms.

No I'm not. In Unix, you specify the config file in the startup script
in case you want to change the default location/name. In Windows the
new
installer asks you for the location of the config file separately from
any parameters you want to add. That way you don't have to worry about
the other arguments. It simplifies a lot of things.

Danny