[ntp:questions] Re: announce: NTP FAQ v3.8

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Fri Jan 21 11:45:39 UTC 2005

At 10:46 AM +0000 2005-01-21, David J Taylor wrote:

>  Mixing numbers like that is very confusing.  My personal feelings are that
>  if you use PPM, then the units should be whole numbers: 15 PPM,  2 PPM
>  etc, certainly /not/ fractional parts.  If you must use fractions, then
>  not more than one decimal place - 1.6 PPM, 0.3 PPM  If you need to express
>  smaller quantities, just stick with scientific notation 1E-12,  1E-14 etc.
>  Clarity of communication is very important.

	The problem is that PPM is a standard measure.  If you need to
express smaller amounts, who is going to understand PPB, PPT (and
would it mean Parts Per Thousand, or Parts Per Trillion?), PPP,
etc...?

	Clarity of communication is important, but so is standardization of terms.

>  Even better, of course, where you can use superscripts to write 10-12,
>  10-14 (but not in this plain text e-mail!).

	Use caret.  So, this becomes 10^-12 or 10^-14.  Easy.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755