[ntp:questions] Re: announce: NTP FAQ v3.8

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Fri Jan 21 12:21:16 UTC 2005

At 11:59 AM +0000 2005-01-21, David J Taylor wrote:

>  PPM is a standard measure, yes, but not the others.

	That was my point.

>                                                       For accurate work
>  beyond that I think you need to use scientific notation.

	Which is what Ulrich did.

>                                                            Do you think
>  10^-12 or 10E-12 is more widely understood?

	I'm not certain.  If I had to guess, I'd say the latter.  But at
least there's another option, if you think that people find that
method confusing.

>  By the way: in the VMS operating system one time unit was expressed in
>  micro-fortnights....

	Shall we express distances in atto-parsecs?  Maybe talk about
time in the realm of femto-eons?  We can get really silly, if you
want.

	However, I think the point of this discussion was to try to come
up with better ways to express the small values that Ulrich was
talking about, without getting away from standard terminology.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755